L-1 Visa Lawyer in Southern California

Helping Qualifying Foreign Businesses in the U.S. Obtain L-1 Visas

The United States allows foreign companies to bring qualified employees to this country to serve in various capacities if they meet specific requirements. Just as with any non-immigrant visa, the immigration process involved with obtaining an L-1 Visa can be overly complex and challenging to navigate independently.

However, an experienced immigration lawyer can provide cost-effective legal services to help expedite the process and aid businesses and employees in achieving their immigration goals.

Suppose you are an employer associated with a foreign company that needs to bring qualifying employees to the United States. In that case, it is in your best interest to hire an experienced immigration attorney to assist you.

The Element Law Firm, PC, is dedicated to helping businesses with the immigration services they need to build and grow their organizations. Contact our law offices and ask to schedule a 15-minute complimentary call with our experienced attorney, who can determine your legal options.

What is an L-1 Visa?

An L-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows a foreign company to transfer employees to a U.S. branch office, subsidiary, affiliate, or parent company as long as they have a qualifying relationship.

Although the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does allow companies to bring foreign workers who have a qualifying relationship to the United States, several specific requirements must be met to obtain an L-1 Visa, which includes:

  • The transferring employee must have worked for the foreign company for one continuous year within the past three years before the business files the L-1 Visa application.
  • The employee will work for the U.S. company in the role of an executive, manager, or specialized worker.
  • The U.S. company must file the visa application on behalf of the employee. Unlike other non-immigrant visas, an L-1 Visa is not eligible for a self-petition.

Foreign employees who fill executive or managerial positions and have a qualifying relationship would be eligible for an L1A Visa. Employees who qualify with specialized knowledge would be granted an L1B Visa.

If you need further clarification regarding L-1 visas or immigration law, contact the Element Law Firm, PC of Southern California, to learn more about how we can assist your business.

What are the Benefits of Having an L-1 Visa?

The L-1 Visa offers significant advantages to businesses and their employees. Although there are many advantages associated with the L-1 Visa, some of the most significant include:

  • An L-1 Visa is not limited to specific countries like other non-immigrant visas.
  • Employers are not required to make a minimum investment as with other immigration possibilities, making the L-1 Visa a viable option for new companies wishing to expand their businesses to the U.S. However, the foreign company must demonstrate that their business can support the role of the employee they wish to transfer.
  • The L-1 Visa provides holders the ability to remain in the U.S. for an extended amount of time. L1A visa holders may stay for a total of 7 years, while L-1B holders may extend their stay for up to 5 years.
  • The L-1 Visa is eligible for “premium processing,” meaning that by paying an additional fee, applicants may be able to have the visa application processed within 15 calendar days as opposed to longer processing times.
  • L-1 visa holders may also bring their family members, such as spouses and children under 21, to live in the U.S. with them.

If you want to know more about the benefits of an L-1 Visa, contact our immigration law firm so that we can discuss your legal options.

Can an L-1 Visa Lead to a Green Card?

An L-1 Visa offers more benefits than simply extending the time foreign nationals may spend working in the U.S. An L-1 visa is also classified as a dual intent visa. Unlike other non-immigrant work visas, with an L-1 Visa, applicants may pursue green cards while working in the U.S. without jeopardizing their ability to remain in the country.

The L-1 Visa can be a stepping stone for multinational executives and managers seeking permanent residency in the U.S. through the EB1C visa. With an EB1C visa, the foreign company submitting the visa application does not need an approved Labor Certification to employ the executive or manager. Similar to an L-1 Visa, the EB1C visa provides an easier path for applicants to United States citizenship.

The employment authorization associated with an L-1 visa is only valid as long as a foreign company conducts business in the U.S.

The Element Law Firm, PC, has in-depth knowledge of California business law and will use our experience to help keep you up to date on any changes that could affect your foreign workers. Contact our law offices to help with your immigration matters.

Can Your Law Firm Provide the Immigration Services My Business Needs to Obtain L- 1 Visas?

Suppose you have a new or existing office located in the U.S. associated with a foreign affiliate and wish to obtain an L-1 visa for qualifying employees. In that case, you must hire an experienced immigration attorney to assist you with your immigration goals.

The Element Law Firm, PC, can provide your business with the legal representation needed to achieve your organization’s objectives. We represent clients in various immigration cases and use our experience to ensure you receive the legal service you need to help obtain employee work visas.

Our legal team can help provide guidance on the required documents you must submit with the visa application and assist with premium processing if necessary.

No matter what your particular situation may be, allow The Element Law Firm, PC, to help you with your business and employment needs. Contact our law offices at 760-642-6111 and ask to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.